Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Starting therapy - the first shot!

Well, finally I get to post here! Today I had my first shot of testosterone, specifically 100mg of Sustanon®. My endocrinologist Dr.H gave me the all-clear and suggested that we start slowly and then gradually up the dosage so that it wouldn't be such a shock to my system. The plan is to stay on a 100mg shot every 2 weeks for 8 weeks, at which point another set of tests will be run and if everything continues to be okay, we'll move on to a higher dosage.

My GP Dr.L was really great with administering the shot. He's actually had pretty much no experience with transsexuals (in a professional capacity at least), and his demeanour suggested that he was keen to learn more about the matter. In fact, he almost seemed more excited than I was. :D

Anyway, he administered the shot on the upper right side of my ass (or "arse" as we say in Australia in true Pommie tradition), explaining that we would be alternating sides to allow the tissue to heal. The idea of the shots being "distributed" somewhat evenly also appealed to me, so no arguments there. Also, the shot was totally painless, thanks to him using a relatively low-gauged needle after filling up the syringe using a higher-gauge needle. I'm glad that he'd thought of that, considering that I myself never would have.

A little later, as I was leaving, the spot where I'd had the jab started to ache though. The best way I can describe it is like having a bruise, except that it's down in the muscle as opposed to on the surface. I'm not sure if this is a common experience, but I hope that it doesn't stay around too long - it's nice having a constant reminder of the shot around though.

Feel absolutely normal at the moment, not even a quickening of the pulse or raised blood pressure from excitement. Actually, I don't know why I'm so calm; I think I should be more hyperactive and excited! Will post if anything changes. I've also written a post in my other blog about the day's events leading up to the big moment.

No comments: